Monday, July 23, 2007

Drew Carey hosts "The PRICE is RIGHT"

How perfect is that for Drew Carey to take the job (I loved him in "Whose Line Is It Anyway?)! I was wondering who in the world could replace Bob Barker. I don't get to watch the game show now, but as a kid, I watched it daily! I spent many wonderful summers at my Mamaw Bell's camp/house on Lake Darbonne where we would start the days off watching "Price is Right". Of course Mamaw would watch from the kitchen while she began to prepare lunch. There was her typical line up: The morning news, "The Price is Right", then "Young and the Restless" (does that even come on anymore?). She would allow us to play "school", "bank", "library" or "store" in her back bedroom where we turned the room upside down and loudly listened to childrens' Christian tunes (on record albums!) by artists such as Joni Eareckson Tada and Tammy Faye Bakker! ("We" included me and all 7 of my girl-cousins along with my little sister.) Mamaw would cook a wonderful lunch, which we would all devour, then she'd begin to prepare for supper. Of course, we had an evening line up to watch after all 9 of us had baths in her single bathtub with Ivory soap (2 or 3 at a time!). We watched such shows as "The Barbara Mandrel Show", "Hee-Haw", "The Waltons" and of course the 10 o'clock news. I don't think my kids have ever heard of any of these shows, including "The Price is Right"!

2 comments:

tallie lea said...

Yes, I remember you! I haven't seen you at the annex, I will look for you next Sunday. This is a great post. When they announced Drew Carey, I had very similar flashbacks to my childhood summers at my MawMaw's house. The lunches were the greatest! See you Sunday!

Unknown said...

It's funny reading this blog. My Maw Maw had the same mourning line up except after the shows we played with a lot more dirt and trees. I don't remember "playing" school. We tried bank one time but we were all broke so we just robbed it and went back to the woods.