Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What Passed, What Failed

I was browsing the online newspaper while eating my lunch today when I ran across an article that gave a brief synopsis of what the legislature passed/failed. I just had to laugh out loud about some of it... here are some of the items that were passed (yes PASSED):

  • Creates the crime of public display of a noose with the intent to intimidate. HB726. (I thought the display of any noose is intimidating!)

  • Prohibits a “sex offender” from wearing a mask, hood or disguise during holiday events and from distributing candy or other gifts on Halloween to persons under 18 years of age. SB143. (This was a no-brainer!)

  • Authorizes castration of persons convicted of a crime which classifies the convicted person as a “sex offender.” SB144. (OMG... what judge is going to mandate this as punishment?!? oh... I guess a female judge)

  • Prohibits wearing or possessing body armor on school property. HB1153. (When they stop kids from bringing guns, then we will worry about this one)

And my very biggest most favorite one...

  • Requests BESE to adopt a policy requiring local school boards to require students committing certain offenses to wear a hot pink jump suit. (Where was this law when I was teaching public school... I know a couple of little punks that would have looked just precious!)

Click here to see the entire article... Louisiana law at its finest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miss talking to ya!
hope all is well!
hugs!
dela

Heatherbell said...

so glad I have your blog address now! these laws are ridiculous!
Hoep to see you soon, heather