Thursday, June 11, 2009

Medical Update

I've decided to go for a second opinion, after months of playing the waiting game with the doctor's at BR Clinic. As most of you know, I've been trying to figure out what's going on with me physically for over a year now. I have what I refer to as my "episodes" everyday and it seems that they've gotten more frequent lately. Over a period of about 2-3 minutes (occurring 6-7 times per day; typically worse in afternoon/evening), I get a very full feeling in my head, I see black spots/blurry spots, can't speak fluently, and feel as though I'm going to faint. I've been to my internist, ENT, neurologist, rhuematologist, ophthalmologist, cardiologist, gynecologist, herbalist (or whatever you call a "natural" doctor), endocrinologist, and back to some of these again & again, paying outrageous co-pays, but not getting any answers for my "episodes". It was discovered that I have an auto-immune disease which has caused my thyroid to enlarge to 2x it's normal size (Hashimoto's Thyroiditis), I have severe B12 & D deficiencies, & I have enlarged water sacs in my brain, & I failed a tilt-table test. I've lost 40 pounds, changed my diet, added large amounts of exercise, take B12 injections monthly, & a handful of vitamin supplements by mouth daily, only to still have episodes get worse. All this said, in the past, I was terrified of offending my "medical team" at BR Clinic, so I wouldn't get a second opinion. I've decided that I have to get to the bottom of this so I've sought the help of other doctors at the NeuroMedical Center. The neurologist there has run a few other tests, EEG, some type of galvanized-shock test, & now another MRI today. I have to say, they handle things quickly, so hopefully diagnosis/treatment will come quickly too! They are suggesting that I may have an issue with my autonomic system, or maybe seizures, or other neuro issue... they are checking it out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed while I wait for test results now. If any of you readers are medical experts or have similar stories, please, please, please share/advise.

3 comments:

Heatherbell said...

I have absolutely nothing to add in the medical arena - I'm just glad you are pursuing a new road! Good luck!

Victoria and Malaura said...

Hi Paula, Passing through to get to Avery's link (thanks) and I read your post. I have epilepsy, known now as seizure disorders for forty years.
What you are describing sounds like petit mal seizures. I've had tons & usually happen when not enough sleep, electrolytes are off, bad eating habits etc. I COULD BE WRONG. But hey, Neuro-Medical clinic is the best.
I'm not a doctor, but check out your family history for epilepsy. Great meds now. Keep us posted. Please remember you can have a normal EEG & still have epilepsy.
Good Luck...

Malaura A. Blanchard

Paula D said...

Malaura,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with seizure disorders. I haven't heard back from NeuroMedical Center yet (concerning my test results), but what you said makes a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment & share your information!