Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My First Baby is a "Baby" No More

     It is hard to believe that 13 & 1/2 years ago, Erin Madison came into my life.  At only 22 years old, I barely was old enough to even have a baby.  WD & I were driving blind when it came to parenting (we still are in some aspects, as we learn as we go).  I remember how I was terrified to cut her fingernails because I didn't want to hurt her.  I also remember getting her ears pierced at only 6 months hoping that she would look more feminine only to have my precious girl look more like Mr. Clean (although her bright blue eyes gleamed bright enough to distract from her smooth bald head)!
     My nostalgia stems from a request that I got from one of Erin's 8th grade teachers.  Being the last year in middle school, the technology teacher compiles an 8th grade video for the kids/parents.  I think they'll even have an 8th grade ceremony near the end of the school year before they enter high school!  Yes, I said high school... I can barely say it out loud! The request from the teacher was for me to email 3 baby photos of Erin.  I sifted through a few piles of photos last night, and ultimately allowed Erin to select the 3 she liked best (it was too hard for me to select only 3).  Here are the three she selected:




   My favorite is the third one in her pink gingham dress with the white eyelet ruffles.  I see glimpses of that little smirk every once in a while now, especially when I catch her overhearing conversations that aren't meant for her. She insisted on including a dance photo although I advised her that that was not a "baby" photo.  She was 3 or nearly 4 years old in that photo.  Of course the top photo just cracks me up.  She was wearing one of my favorite onsies... "Don't Tell Me I'm Cute, I Wanna Be SMART!"
     As you can tell I'm very proud of her, not only then, but now too.  She is smart, compassionate, beautiful, and a natural peacekeeper.  Don't get me wrong... she tries my patience from time to time with her teen-like forgetfulness, roller-coaster moods (our household can only handle one member who does that & I was that way first :-), & sassy attitude that peeks out every once in a while.  Overall, I'm very blessed to have her, and I'm glad to call her my daughter!

3 comments:

Teri said...

They grow up tooooooo fast!

Donna said...

Oh, how bitter sweet....it's so wonderful to see who and what they become but so hard to watch them go. Thanks for sharing such a tender moment. Makes me want to hold on tight to my fourth grader and not let her grow any more.

Heatherbell said...

You and WD have done an amazing job! I hope I'm half the mom that you are!